Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stealth Ads

In my last post, I mentioned how I don't have ads on my blog.  This doesn't stop scummy people from trying to insert ads into the blog via the comments.  As anyone who has a blog knows, you are forced to moderate and approve comments because otherwise your comments area will be overrun with advertisements for penis enlargement pills, fake Rolexes, and various types of get-rich schemes.

Lately, however, I've been seeing a different type of attempt.  It's a comment submitted that looks OK at first glance, but contains an embedded link to a commercial (usually sketchy) website.  Here's one I just received.

Amazing article! I originally discovered your blog a week or so ago and I bookmarked your site the very next day. - Daisy Charmaine

Looks like a nice compliment.  The name, however, was a link (which I removed) to a website that sold knockoff clothing in the UK (I'm not giving this asshole free advertising).  What they're hoping for is that it will slip through the comment approval process and get posted so they now have a chance to get a click through to their commercial website.

I have to admit, as a blogger it's nice to get a compliment in your comments.  That just makes it all the more annoying when you know it's a lie designed to trick you to advertise their spammy business.

I have no problems linking to another legitimate blogger's website, but if I chose not to advertise on my site for fees, why the fuck should I give you an ad for free?  I call in parasite advertising.  They can't do it legitimately so so try to sneak in and attach like a fucking tick sticking to your ass where it hopes you won't notice it sucking your blood.

Here's another I got yesterday submitted to my past post about asbestos.

I've been browsing on-line greater than 3 hours as of late, but I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful price enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the internet will likely be a lot more helpful than ever before. Feel free to surf my blog - Posted by FuckingAsbestosInuryLawyerScumbag.com

Yes, his real blog name wasn't FuckingAsbestosInjuryLawyerScumbag.com but that's what he was.  Guess they didn't teach grammar at his law school either.

Tomorrow I'll go back to more science-related posts for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment